Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Fwd: I am holding a townhall meeting Aug 8th

The need for Health Care Reform is not limited HD38 so let's help Betty with the letter writing if we can.  Thanks.

V

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 1:59 AM
Subject: I am holding a townhall meeting Aug 8th

There comes a time when the only option is to stand for what you believe in.  These are such times.  This week my 42 yr old nephew, the only son of my oldest sister, a farmer in MS will have his house and land auctioned off because he had a massive heart attack 2 yrs ago that left him disabled and barely alive.  He had no insurance because he was laid off from the company he worked for and he had a pre-existing condition and we couldn't get any insurance company to insure him.  We could say that they were right in their decision.  We could blame it on his lifestyle or diet or we could understand the truth, which is that it is genetic in my father's side of the family.  All the people in his family died before age 50 of heart disease except him. My father kept the farm because his heart problems hit after he was 65 and on Medicare.  My cousin died at age 40 of the same heart problem.  My sister, 2 yrs younger had bypass surgery this year.  My niece at age 46 had the same surgery 2 yrs ago. My older sister had to have stints as did 2 of my nephews.  Fortunately I have my mother's genes and Medicare. Doug wasn't so lucky.  He has a wife and an 8 yr old son and will never be able to work again. Yesterday he was back in the hospital having another stint put in.

 

Doug is not very different from many other Americans.  My aunt said that the reason health care costs were so high was all those Democrats who refused to work and buy insurance.  That was the last time I spoke to her.

 

We can rant, whine, cry or scream or we can finally do something about it.  It is time to stand up and say that $1 billion of the $600 billion that we are spending on wars for resources in other countries could provide all our citizens health care for 10 yrs.  1/600 of what we waste on weapons and war could improve the quality of life here in the U.S.

 

I'm not much into statistics.  I am into action.  If you are with me come to the Blueberry's Café at 1500 W Littleton Blvd this Saturday, Aug 8th at 9 a.m. and stand with me.  Bring paper and pen and we are going to write some quick letters to tell our Senators and Congress persons where we stand.  It will take about 3 minutes per letter.  I will see that these get delivered.

 

I will be there with my latte and my laptop from 9-11.  Bring your neighbors, family and friends. I'll bring the paper.

 

Democrats clean up. It is time to clean up this mess. 
 
Betty
720.560.3806

Latest Dem Blogs Postings