Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fwd: David Suspends His Campaign


----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "David Canter for Congress" <david@canterforcongress.com>
To: "Candace Moon" <vcmoon@comcast.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:30:11 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: David Suspends His Campaign


17th August 2009

Dear Candace:

Over the past month, I have met with friends, family, supporters, campaign consultants, elected officials and campaign staff regarding the viability of my campaign to become the first Democrat to represent Colorado's 6th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives.

As many of you know, there were two exceptional candidates vying for the support of the Democrats and Progressives of Colorado's 6th Congressional District: me and John Flerlage. We both campaigned hard and, understandably, many members of our party were conflicted as to where they should donate their time, expertise and money. Some even decided to wait until after the August 2010 primary to show their support for the future nominee.

As Abraham Lincoln once observed, "A house divided against itself cannot stand." Thus, after much deliberation, and for the good of the party and the people of this district, I have decided to suspend my campaign.

Though my campaign may be suspended, I remain committed to work with local parties and candidates to change the status quo in the 6th Congressional District. I may have stepped aside, but I am not stepping away.  Much work remains to be done.

For far too long our progressive ideals and values have fallen on deaf ears in the 6th Congressional District -- a district that has become synonymous with the hate-filled, bigoted rhetoric of people like Tom Tancredo. The 6th Congressional District's Republican establishment has turned its backs on the people of this district -- people who are losing their jobs, their health care coverage, their ability to provide for their families. Too many in this district can't afford to send their kids to college, while still others are forced to chose between putting gas in their cars or paying their mortgage. No one in this economy is immune -- not Democrats, not Independents, and not Republicans.

Over the past several months, John Flerlage and I have appeared at functions together, we have talked to one another, and we have exchanged our ideas on the issues that are most important to you. Though I am suspending my campaign, I pledge my support for John to help him build a grassroots effort that will unite our party and bring victory to the Progressives in a district that has been ignored by those on the right for far too long.

In closing, I extend my appreciation to those of you who supported my campaign, who provided me with encouragement, and who recognized that a Democrat can win Colorado's 6th Congressional District. It has been a wonderful and humbling experience meeting with you and hearing firsthand what you expect from your elected officials. Last, a special "thank you" to my wife, Joni, and my children, Joshua, Sam and Amanda, for allowing me to take this journey with you over the past 10 months.

Warmest regards, and with my deepest, heartfelt gratitude,

David S. Canter

David@CanterforCongress.com

P.S.: You may help me retire my campaign debt by clicking on this link: www.actblue.com/page/retiredavidsdebt. Thank you, David

 



canterforcongress.com


Please forward this email to friends and family

Paid for by Canter for Congress


If you would like to unsubscribe or customize your email communication settings, please click here.

We never sell your personal information or share lists. See our Privacy Policy.

If you received this message from a friend and would like to subscribe, please click here.
Powered by

Latest Dem Blogs Postings